Saturday 28 November 2009

Some decisions.



I went with quilting last week.  I think I made the right choice (especially since it started to rain as soon as I made it!).  I am now done piecing my Shattered Dishes quilt:



I had to resort to the machine for the last bit of it, since my wrists were too sore to do anything by hand!

My next choice is how to do the border.  I think it needs some sort of border, because otherwise it's a pretty busy quilt.  I think I want to maintain something a bit 3D, especially since I am totally out of the neutral fabric!  In that case, should the border come "outward" (or at least it looks like that to me...):


Which leaves plenty of other options (inward, outward, blue or orange, etc.)


The next choice will be how to quilt it.  I have been trying to decide whether to quilt based on the original block (as I imagined it):


And then, of course, do something more fun in each of the blocks...

However, I think it could be fun to go "on point" and break the quilt up into 2 different blocks:





This could allow for some fun in terms of treating the blocks differently - ie. something really tight in the "cross" blocks, and something much looser in the broken dishes blocks:


 
Any thoughts?


5 comments:

  1. I like the first one. I can't see the difference between the inward and outword borders though. :S

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite is the second one. It's a very cool quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the last example with the spirals, it really emphasises the distorted blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would go for the on point grid with your suggestions for the blocks, - it set off the 3D effect very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great quilt! I like the orange on the outside border and the swirls for quiting!

    happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete